If you're wondering why we're dedicating an entire post on swapping over brake line brackets, it's because this part of the installation required the most amount of time. Allow us to share (or rather vent) our experience.
If you go back to the Koni STR.T unboxing video, we gave Koni a tremendous amount of praise for having a history of providing high quality automotive parts. No doubt this is true, but as much credibility and history Koni has had with selling shock absorbers, we were incredibly disappointed that instructions, even just a printout, weren't included in our suspension kit. A bit ridiculous for something costing $650.
Even something simple like taking off this black cap from the strut should clearly be mentioned in some form of instructions. Taking this cap off allows the factory dust boot to properly fit over the shock.
Another thing we didn't anticipate was needing to swap over the OEM brake line brackets over to the Koni Yellow shock. A lot of aftermarket strut applications come pre-welded with brake line brackets. Something to note if you plan on purchasing new shocks.
The Honda CRX has a huge autocross community and lot of enthusiasts go with custom-valved Koni yellows for their setups. For years, users simply used zip-ties to secure their brake lines to the strut. Although this method has been proven to be safe and effective, we wanted to use as many OEM components as possible.
The photos below illustrate the steps we took to remove and swap over the bracket.
Looks pretty straightforward right? Just knock off the the stock bracket and simply hammer it onto the Koni. The problem is, whoever designed the Koni shock made the body just a little too thick. In other words, the OEM brake line bracket's opening wasn't large enough to fit over the shock.
We're not new to a little fabrication and a bit of cutting wasn't going to discourage us from getting Nancy a new set of shocks and springs. It was just incredibly frustrating that Koni didn't include instructions telling us to cut some relief into the bracket. We wasted a lot of time trying to force the bracket into the correct position of the shock and even got to a point where we thought we were the ones at fault.
Thumbs down Koni, thumbs down. We'll cover the entire cutting procedure in the next post.
Update: Koni got in contact with us and suggested that we should have used a scouring pad or sanding block to sand off the bottom of the strut until it was thin enough for the bracket to fit over the strut. This may have worked but I don't think anyone wants to do that kind of damage to a brand new and expensive shock.