With the oil pan back on, we set our attention to this lovely mess. This is what years of oil leaks and neglect looks like. Thank you previous owner.
Looks like black cake frosting. Dessert anyone?
This is what our block looked like after almost 2 hours of work. Lots gunk, elbow grease, steel wool, more gunk, a pack of microfiber towels, wondering how the hell the owner let this happen, and a couple cans of parts washer.
A couple more hours and things are starting to look "acceptable". Definitely a huge difference from when we started. I wish we took a picture of all the crap that landed on our garage floor. NOT a pretty site.
And here's how the block looked right before we started the reinstallation of the exhaust manifold (which led to more problems as you'll see in the next post). There's still a lot of detailing left to be done in Nancy's engine bay but we're extremely happy with our results thus far.