Happy New Year! After a nice holiday break, it's time to get back on track. We caught up with Tony and he had a few updates for us. As you can see in this photo, the bolsters have been reinforced and the padding has been upgraded. These should hug quite nicely once complete.
The oem cloth seat skins are also lined with foam from the factory. This is what gives the seat its plushness. The foam in our seats were still in great condition so there wasn't any need to mess with them.
Here's another angle of the OEM foam padding under the cloth.
The white material is the back of the original cloth fabric from our seats. These will be cut and used as a template for the new material.
And to answer everyone's question, here's the material we chose: Ultrasuede Toray HP (high performance) in Charcoal. The cost was $60 a square yard. Since we're keeping the center sections, we only needed to purchase 3 yards or 1.5 yards per seat. If you decide to include the centers, 2 yards per seat is recommended.
In this photo, you can see our original cloth template being used as a stencil for the new material.
Here are all the cutouts for just the seat back. The suede fabric is actually already glued to a quarter inch foam pad for additional reinforcement.
Although the glue is strong, Tony also uses some preliminary sticthing to make sure the materials don't separate.
Here's a sneak peek of a semi-completed seat back. It still needs to be stretched and hog-pinned but we're incredbily happy with plushness, color, and look and feel. We'll have both seats completed in the next update.
With the fabric off the seat, Tony was able to start the process of restoring our factory 91 CRX Si seats back to its original condition.
We start the process of removing the original fabric from our worn down oem seats.
Nothing ruins a drive like a squeaky, annoying clutch pedal. From the moment we purchased Nancy, we knew this would be one of our top priorities. Lucky for us, the fix was pretty simple.
The standard OEM seats that came in the 88-91 Honda CRX were, in our opinion, one of the most comfortable, well-bolstered, and high quality seats in a mass-produced economy car. After over 20 years of use, we've decided that it was time for a reupholstery project.
As we continued stripping the interior, we were quite pleased with the condition of the interior foam materials, paint and plastics. No rust or missing parts were found. A couple of nice photos here to finish off the weekend.
We're pretty sure the previous owner had lunch in his car... a lot. One of the first things we did was pull out the center console, all of the panels and seats so we could vacuum the carpet and wipe up any residue from years of coffee spills. Nothing fancy here but clean interiors are always nice.