So now with the oil pan installed and engine block cleaned, it was time to reinstall our exhaust manifold. As the final nut was being torqued down, we heard a grimacing "snap" as the ratchet made it's final turn. It was obvious we had snapped yet another stud.
If you'll recall from an earlier post, we had already replaced a broken stud that we found when pulling off Nancy's exhaust manifold. This time however, the stud would prove to be more challenging to remove as there weren't any threads to work with.
A bit of drilling would be required.
The drilling process proved to be challenging. We were lucky to keep the hole fairly close to the middle to allow us to use our "Easy Out Bolt Extractor".
Pretty close to the edge but we made it work.
Here's a comparison pic of our broken stud next to a brand new OEM stud.
Screwing the stud back into the block
Installed! This could've turned out a lot worse so we're pretty happy with the end result. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours =)
Exhaust manifold reinstalled. Definitely had to hold our breath while torquing down the bolts.