In this video, we review all the work we've done in the last year including work to the engine, clutch, seats, steering wheel, center console, and suspension.
Since Nancy was purchased over year ago, we've never had an issue with the clutch. Shifts were smooth and the clutch grabbed well. We at RestorationCRX believe that no restoration should be complete without at least inspecting the clutch and flywheel. We were lucky we did...
We have absolutely no idea how many miles were driven on this disc but as you can see it was on its last legs. Time to go shopping.
We couldn't find any new OEM clutches or flywheels from Honda so a unanimous decision was made to go with the next best option. We opted for factory replacement parts from Exedy, a long-time OEM supplier for Honda.
Oh and we could've just resurfaced the stock flywheel but that wouldn't have been very RestorationCRX-esque.
We've used Exedy products in the past and have always gone for some of their more popular performance models. However for this restoration, simply going with their factory replacement parts was more than enough as we didn't have plans to upgrade the output of our D16A6.
In total, the Exedy clutch kit and flywheel cost us a little under $200. Both can be found on Amazon. Very affordable for quality parts from a well known brand. We can't wait to get these installed for our next video update.
It's been almost a year since we started RestorationCRX and after a long hiatus, we're finally back in action. To kick things off, let's get some of your questions answered.
Where have you guys been?
Hopefully we can one day turn RestorationCRX into a full-time gig but in the meantime, our daily 9-5 jobs are priority. It's also the only way we're able to fund this project as we don't have any sponsors or advertisers on the site.
What's new with the car?
The past few months have been incredibly busy for the three of us. And with so much going on outside of the project, we had to send Nancy off to a trusted mechanic shop to get a lot of the work done.
How did the seats turn out?
Unfortunately our reupholstered seats didn't turn out the way we expected. For daily use it's fine but when you're trying to build a brand, every detail counts and the end product, to our dismay, didn't live up to our standards. We'll most likely go with a brand new set of Recaros. Let us know which model you think is best for the car.
Stay tuned for updates. Cheers!
Happy New Year! After a nice holiday break, it's time to get back on track. We caught up with Tony and he had a few updates for us. As you can see in this photo, the bolsters have been reinforced and the padding has been upgraded. These should hug quite nicely once complete.
The oem cloth seat skins are also lined with foam from the factory. This is what gives the seat its plushness. The foam in our seats were still in great condition so there wasn't any need to mess with them.
Here's another angle of the OEM foam padding under the cloth.
The white material is the back of the original cloth fabric from our seats. These will be cut and used as a template for the new material.
And to answer everyone's question, here's the material we chose: Ultrasuede Toray HP (high performance) in Charcoal. The cost was $60 a square yard. Since we're keeping the center sections, we only needed to purchase 3 yards or 1.5 yards per seat. If you decide to include the centers, 2 yards per seat is recommended.
In this photo, you can see our original cloth template being used as a stencil for the new material.
Here are all the cutouts for just the seat back. The suede fabric is actually already glued to a quarter inch foam pad for additional reinforcement.
Although the glue is strong, Tony also uses some preliminary sticthing to make sure the materials don't separate.
Here's a sneak peek of a semi-completed seat back. It still needs to be stretched and hog-pinned but we're incredbily happy with plushness, color, and look and feel. We'll have both seats completed in the next update.
With the fabric off the seat, Tony was able to start the process of restoring our factory 91 CRX Si seats back to its original condition.
We start the process of removing the original fabric from our worn down oem seats.
Nothing ruins a drive like a squeaky, annoying clutch pedal. From the moment we purchased Nancy, we knew this would be one of our top priorities. Lucky for us, the fix was pretty simple.
In our previous post, we decided to try out an inexpensive alternative to replacing our OEM muffler. Walker Exhaust manufactures OEM replacement mufflers for all makes and models. We decided to give the Walker Quiet-Flow SS a try. If it didn't work out, we'd only be out a little over a hundred bucks.